Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller

A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
I just read the book A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller.
It is just awesome and I recommend it highly if ya'll have not read it.
It is a short book - I read it today.The author used to be a shepherd - for real - and he explains what David, as a shepherd knew and experienced and how that psalm relates to us as Christians. I found it very touching and thought provoking. I was touched that a shepherd owns the sheep. He personally chooses them, buys them, calls them by name, and enjoys caring for them. I was convicted by the line "I shall not want" which implies that David, even though he had been persecuted by Saul and his son Absalom and had many trying and difficult experiences throughout his life, still said that he was utterly content in the Lord's care, not wanting anything more. I thought it was interesting that when it is fly season, the shepherds put an oil mixture on the sheep's noses and heads to repel the flies and prevent a scab disease.  I was touched that the Lord does not "airlift" us to the mountains - we must go through the valleys to get there.  I really enjoyed this book and I think others will too.

oops - just read the cover and found out that the short book that I read in one day was "exerpts" from the book. Boy do I feel sheepish.  I am getting the entire book from the library to read since the exerpts were so great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment