Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I read this book because this week is banned book week and this is a book that has often been banned.  I can see why. This is the story of Humbert Humbert, a pedophile obsessed with little girls, who moves into a house as a renter, and marries the owner , Charlotte, because he is in love with her 12 year old daughter, Lolita, who he refers to as a nymphet.  When Charlotte is hit by a car and killed, Humbert runs off with Lolita on a cross country trip with her, while telling himself that she was the one who seduced him first.  I enjoyed the first part of the story - it is well written and full of humor and irony.  I especially liked the tale of how his first wife died.  However, once Humbert runs off with Lolita, the story gets more and more icky and insane and honestly, I found it boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment