Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began by Alex Cooper, Joanna Brooks

Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
Wow, very sad and scary story.  When she was 15 and told her LDS parents that she was gay, Alex had no idea that they would send her away to be degayified, which is not rally possible. The people her family sent to stay with were not certified or state regulated as a treatment program and she was basically held captive tortured physically  and emotionally for 8 months in their home.  She was lucky that they finally allowed her to go to school where she opened up to a friend about her situation and she was rescued out of it.  The fact that such thing as gay conversion therapy even exists is horrible and the situation that Alex was in was physically and emotionally abusive and she was lucky to survive.  She did go to court, and won the right to live in Utah and be protected from her parents or anyone else trying to put her into any gay conversion therapy again, which should help other teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment