Friday, October 21, 2011

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiGamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie
My 9 year old daughter is currently reading some dog books and I saw this one and thought she might like it.
I think she will.  In this book, 10 year old Opal is being raised by her dad, the preacher, since her mother left when she was 3. They have just moved to a new town where she does not yet have any friends.  She goes to the Winn-Dixie grocery store and there is a dog there who is enjoying himself and causing chaos in the store.  She brings him home and names him Winn-Dixie.  Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes friends with several interesting people including the libraian, the man who runs the pet store, an old woman who lives alone, and several children.  Because of Winn-Dixie, she is able to talk to her dad about her mom and learn more about her.  Because of Winn-Dixie, all of her new friends get to know one another and become friends too. Everything happens because of Winn-Dixie.  This is a terrific story and I really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to read this one! Thanks for the review! I would love it if you'd link this up on my blog carnival Family Time Tuesday!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids and I read this together about a year ago. We love Kate Dicamillo books!

    ReplyDelete