Monday, April 21, 2014

Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism) by Frank Schaeffer

Patience With God by Frank Schaeffer
Ok, this book is totally NOT what I was expecting. I mean, look at the title - Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism). So, I was thinking the book would be about faith for people who are uncomfortable with religion, but who are not atheists either - but really, this book is a diatribe by the author against people and views that he disagrees with. He gripes about the "new atheists", Bill Maher, Dawkins, Hitchens, Rick Warren, and the "Left Behind" series in the first part of the book. That was totally not what I was looking for and I quit reading all the griping after a little while. I did look and see that the second part of the book is what the author is calling a "memoir-and memory with a touch of essay". I skimmed through it and he discusses Reformed theology, evangelical/fundamentalist missionaries, Dawkins again, more griping about evangelical/fundamentalist beliefs, Darwin, Higgins again and his family. I did not find the book to be helpful or useful or interesting and I think it has nothing to do with the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment