Friday, March 2, 2012

I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society by Amy Alkon

I See Rude People by Amy Alkon
This is a well-researched, funny, and thought provoking book. Amy tells how she has battled rude people through the years including hunting down the man who stole her car and badgering him until he returned it and taking on Bank of America when she suffered from identity theft due to their errors. In many ways, Amy herself sounds rather rude, but, objectively, what she says and does, makes sense and from the photo on the cover on the book she does NOT look like a tranny. You will have to read the book to see what that refers to. I found it interesting that research shows that our brains are wired to function well in a community of up to 150 people without needing any policing, but when there are more people than that, we need laws, rules, and law enforcers. Her thoughts on poor parenting, which she calles underparenting, and the fact that all adults may participate in telling children how to behave in France, are quite interesting. Her stories of how she fines and sues telephone solicitors for wasting her time, and hunts down criminals who are misguided enough to mess with her are very funny and while I won't do those things myself, it is satisfying to know that someone does and that at least some annoying telemarketers, spammers and criminals are getting back some of what they dish out.     

1 comment:

  1. oh, man, I want her in my corner!

    added the book to my TBR list

    ReplyDelete