Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tiger Babies Strike Back: How I Was Raised by a Tiger Mom But Could Not Be Turned to the Dark Side by Kim Wong Keltner

Tiger Babies Strike Back: How I Was Raised by a Tiger Mom But Could Not Be Turned to the Dark Side


I did not find this book to be a fast read. The writing is vividly descriptive as the author, Kim, tells her story of growing up in San Fransisco as a second generation Chinese daughter of a "tiger mom". Her mother's parenting style was one that pushed her children to succeed by comparing them negatively to other people's children, and one that lacked physical affection. Kim felt unloved and decided not to raise her daughter the way she was raised. Eventually, she moved away from San Fransisco in order to get away from her controlling family.
I am not Chinese, but have many friends who are and I have seen both the tiger mom style of parenting and the more relaxed style of parenting that Kim advocates among my Chinese friends and acquaintances.
I think that moms - Chinese and not - will enjoy this memoir and the author's views of parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment