Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes by LeAnne Campbell, T. Colin Campbell

The China Study Cookbook by LeAnne Campbell
I have lowered my rating from 4 stars to 3 after having tried more of these recipes. The recipes are plant-based and include little or no added fat and salt and minimal amounts of added sugars. I think one problem is the no added fats. Many foods are much better with added fats. I also do not like the replacement foods and fake foods that are suggested. Because the China Study Diet recommends no dairy, they recommend non-dairy milks - and if you purchase commercially made ones, almost all of them have carrageenan, in them which is inflammatory and carcinogenic. Plus, most of them, with the exception of soy milk, which is controversial due to the hormonal effect, come in large containers and the recipes call for small amounts and then the rest of it goes bad because it is gross tasting and no one in my house will drink it as a drink. We have tried soy milks, almond milks, rice milks, hemp milk and coconut milks. I do like canned coconut milk in some recipes, but if it does not use the whole can then I have leftover coconut milk that often goes bad if I can't figure out what to do with the rest of it. Many of the recipes call for sucanant, which is raw sugar, to replace refined sugar. I don't know if it is any healthier, but it does not taste the same and we don't like it. Other recipes call for agave, which some studies now say is not healthier than sugar. I prefer to use honey and maple syrup as sugar replacements when I can or else just use sugar.
So, I do think that these recipes can be good for some people - especially those who currently follow the SAD diet and are unhealthy, but I am not thrilled with some of the ingredients in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment