Monday, July 13, 2015

The Diabetes Solution: How to Control Type 2 Diabetes and Reverse Prediabetes Using Simple Diet and Lifestyle Changes--with 100 recipes by Jorge E. Rodriguez

The Diabetes Solution by Jorge E. Rodriguez
The first part of this book explains what diabetes is, how it works, what causes it and what it does to you. It also explains what prediabetes is and how to manage it and possibly reverse it through medications, supplements, diet, exercise and getting enough sleep. The second part of the book is about how to manage your diabetes. This book has a “budget” value assigned to foods in the form of points – sort of like weight watchers points and the points correlate to the nutrients and amounts of foods that you should eat. They allow 42 to 50 points a day and you must eat a certain amount of points from some categories and not eat too many from most of the categories. Leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables are unlimited and you should eat 5 or more servings per day. Some foods are taboo – including processed meats, refined carbohydrates, fried foods, processed foods, trans fats, sugar-sweetened beverages and all artificial and alternative sweeteners. That includes the 4 drops of vanilla stevia that I put in my half cup of coffee each morning. Not sure if I am going to drop that though. It has a recipe section, and while I totally love cookbooks and recipes, I don't really like these recipes and I don't plan to make any of them. I think they are just not the kinds of foods that I like. Someone else may like them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment