Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Well, this book kept me reading it, but did not live up to what it could have been.  I rated it three stars because it was compelling enough that I kept reading, but perhaps it should be 2 1/2 stars if I could do that because after all that reading, I did not like the message nor the way it turned out.  It is rather a mash up of The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter and it does have some fun and different magical elements.  But it is ugly.  Fillory, a total copy of Narnia, turns out to be much uglier and Quentin starts out unhappy and finds out that all the magic and even his favorite magical childhood story world can't make him happy and while it is well written and has some interesting elements, it is just so dreadfully depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment