Saturday, August 1, 2015

Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World by Kathy Freston

Veganist by Kathy Freston
I listened to this book as an audio book. The author makes a really good case for a plant based diet from the health benefits to the deplorable way that the animals that we eat are treated. It makes being vegan sound like a good thing to do and makes me want to not eat meats or dairy any more. However, I was sad to hear her list vegan fake food sources at the end of the book like fake cheeses and meats. Over the years I have tried many of these and snuck them into my family’s diet as well. Most of them are expensive and many of them taste gross. I agree that the way animals are raised for human consumption is wasteful and horrible. I just have not yet found a vegan diet that is whole foods based and delicious. I also think that it does not need to be all or nothing, and that if we were to eat a small amount of responsibly raised animals and dairy, then it would be better than eating lots of factory farmed meats. I have, once again checked out several vegan cookbooks and have more on hold at the library. I will try again to find vegan meals to incorporate into my and my family’s diets. Today, I bought a bunch of vegan fake foods to try out for myself and my family since it has been a few years since we last tried them. Perhaps they got better.

No comments:

Post a Comment