Thursday, June 14, 2018

It's Ok That You're Not Ok: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand by Megan Devine

It's Ok That You're Not Ok: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
"Grief changes you.  Who you become remains to be seen.  You do not need to leave your grief behind you in order to live a newly beautiful life.  It's part of you.  Our aim is integration, not obliteration."
It has been a little over two and a half months since my husband passed away from cancer.  He had been diagnosed with cancer two and a half months before that and we had been told to prepare for the end.  I thought that I understood death.  My mother and my grandparents passed away when I was in high school and my father passed away eighteen years ago.  We knew that my husband was dying.  But, I was not prepared for this loss.  At all.  It was, and is much worse than anything I have ever experienced or could have anticipated.  I have found this book to be very helpful in dealing with my own grief and with how other people deal with me.  I think it is a wonderful book both for people who have lost someone and for other people to learn how to treat those of us who are going through the grieving process.  I got this book through an inter-library loan and requested that my library purchase their own copy so that others here may benefit from it. I may even purchase a copy for myself because I want to go back and reread parts of it.  I highly recommend this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment