Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Infidel
I would give this book ten stars on a five star scale if I could. It is just that incredible. Ayaan tells her story of growing up in Somolia, Saudi Arabia and Kenya, of being "excised" - a horrific mutilation of female genitals performed by some Muslims in order to keep them "pure" at age five, and of escaping from an arranged marriage and becoming a member of Parliament in Holland. She fights against the oppression of Muslim women and has been threatened with death. Her story is captivating, sad, horrific and inspiring. It is an eye-opening look at the way Muslim women are treated in most of the world and how Muslim women who are immigrants are usually still treated in the countries that they move to. It is a call to action against those who oppress, beat, mutilate and kill women under the name of religion. I am impressed with Ayaan and her story. I think that everyone should read this book.

1 comment:

  1. I have been intrigued by this book for a while. I've got to put it on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete