Friday, April 3, 2015

Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh

Separate Is Never Equal by Duncan Tonatiuh
This is an excellent historical fiction story about the Mendez v. Westminster case - a fight for school desegregation in 1947 in California where Mexicans were forced to attend segregated schools. This is a desegregation story that is not well known and the book does a great job of telling the story for elementary and middle school age children. It is well written and informative and includes an author's note giving more information, photographs, a glossary and other helpful reference material at the end of the book. I loved and disliked the illustrations. I love the digitalized collage effect showing a variety of textures. I did not like the faces. I found them rather fish-like and creepy and I think that some children may also find the faces disturbing. Other than that, I really loved the book and think it is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment