Sunday, May 29, 2011

The 100 Thing Challenge: How I Got Rid of Almost Everything, Remade My Life, and Regained My Soul by Dave Bruno

The 100 Thing Challenge: How I Got Rid of Almost Everything, Remade My Life, and Regained My Soul
The title of this book is very interesting. 
I think, it may be more interesting than the book. 
In this book, Dave tells about his challenge to himself to narrow his own personal posessions down to 100 things.  He put his challenge on his blog, spent a year selling and purging stuff and then lived for a year with only 100 personal posessions.  He did not count his house and all the things that he shared with his family as part of those 100 personal possessions, and he counted all of his books as one thing - his library (which I agree with).  He has a blog that he shared this challenge on and it gained worldwide interest.  But, the challenge sounds more interesting than it was. The Oprah show was interested and contacted him, but his challenge was not lifestyle changing enough for her show.  I think the book sounds more interesting than it is as well,  unless perhaps you are really interested in reading Dave's philosophical ramblings or you care a lot about outdoor sports equipment and power tools like Dave apparantly did. Maybe men would like this book better than I did.
I did like that Dave took an entire year to get himself down to 100 things and I agree with his bloggers who said that the 100 things may be ok for a man, but would not work for a woman.
The book did motivate me to declutter some more, and just a week after having held a garage sale - which I only had a week to prepare for - I now have two large bags of junk to donate to charity, a nice bag of children's items that my children have outgrown to give to a friend with a younger child, and 19 orphan keys that I found in a junk drawer that seem to fit nothing that we currently own.
Here is Dave's blog if you are interested: http://guynameddave.com/about-the-100-thing-challenge/

I started this blog as part of the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge - which began at the beginning of 2011. 
This is my 52nd book.  It is only May 29.   So far, out of  the 52 books that I read and listed, 22 were non-fiction and 30 were fiction.
I wonder how many books I will have read by the end of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I remeber when I first heard about his project. I didn't have many details but thought that there was no way I could do it. I didn't know he counted his books and "1 item: library". That would work with all of us. 1 item: clothes, 1 item: library, 1 item: movies...

    he did go on for a while about how many pairs of jeans he really needed. I think that's when I gave up.

    Thanks for the review and congrats on hitting 52!

    ReplyDelete