Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rashi's Daughters Book III: Rachel by Maggie Anton

Rashi's Daughters, Book III: Rachel: A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France

This third book is about Rachel, Rashi's youngest daughter.  She is the most beautiful of his daughters and his favorite.  Her story has many unexpected twists and turns as her husband travels and other men are attracted to her beauty.  She becomes a successful business woman on her own. Once again, I appreciate the research that the author put into this book from the history of the region, to how wool was prepared to the rather gruesome description of the crusades.  I was a bit suprised at all of the superstition but I suppose that was a big part of the beliefs in that time period.  I enjoyed the endnote that included that most Jews of European descent may be descendants of Rashi.  My family traces back to France and other European countries so I could be included in that group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment