Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading
Because life is too short to waste on boring books, I am giving up on this one and returning it to the library unfinished.  I got to page 92. This will not count on my list of books read since I didn't finish the whole book.  I got the book because I saw that it was popular, however I should know that does not always mean that I will think it is good, and a year of magical reading sounded interesting.  When I started reading it and saw that the author had a goal of reading a book a day for a year I was impressed!  I read a lot, but not a book a day. 
This book, however, is not as interesting as I thought it would be.
Nina really is a good writer and she writes with lovely descriptiveness and quite well. 
The reason she decided to read a book a day for a year was to do it as grief therapy for herself to help get over the death of her sister to cancer.  So, the book is mostly about Nina's life and memories of her sister. She talks about some of the books that she read some especially if it relates to her sister. It is much more about her and her life and her sister than it is about the books that she read.
And, um - yeah - that seems to be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment